Raplog

"I would we were all of one mind, and one mind good." --Cymbeline, V.iv.209-210. An English teacher's log. Slow down: Check it once in a while.

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Remove my "Smart Meter"!

The following is the text of a letter I am sending today:


June 30, 2011

Jesse J. Knight, Jr., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
San Diego Gas and Electric
P.O. Box 129831
San Diego, CA 92112-9831


and

Neal E. Schmale, President and Chief Operating Officer
Sempra Energy
101 Ash Street
San Diego, California 92101

Dear Sirs:

After expressing to SDG&E my wish not to have a “smart meter” installed in my home, I returned from vacation to find that a “smart meter” had been installed while I was away. I have called SDG&E and spoken to a supervisor, who asserted that SDG&E provides no opt-out option. I have called the CPUC, which says the same thing.

Therefore I am writing to you to request that you find a way to remove the “smart meter” at my home and replace it with a meter of the previous kind.

My reasons for requesting the removal of the “smart meter” at my home are three:

1. There is increasing evidence that excess Radio Frequency radiation causes health problems in human beings, and there is no evidence that the “smart meter” limits quantities and pulse frequencies to safe levels, particularly in conditions in which the insides of houses form somewhat reflective environments.

2. The ability of SDG&E to identify with wave functions the usage patterns of electricity in my home and therefore the activities in which I may be engaged, with the potential to sell such information against my will for marketing purposes, constitutes an unreasonable search of precisely the kind against which I have the right to be secure according to the United States Constitution, Amendment IV.

3. The Federal law under which the State of California has instructed the various utility companies in the state to provide “smart meter” options does not require any citizen to have such a meter, mandating only that utilities offer such an option. Hence the pretense that a customer of SDG&E has no right to opt out of the use of “smart meters” if he or she wishes to continue contracting for electricity falsifies both the letter and the spirit of the federal legislation.

For these reasons, I ask that you

a) cause my “smart meter” to be removed immediately and replaced with the previous type of meter, and

b) make generally available to all customers of SDG&E an opt-out provision for the refusal of “smart meter” installation.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

P.S. I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience. Please do not simply inform me of the arguments for the safety and usefulness of “smart meters.” I have already seen them and find them nugatory.

cc:

California Public Utilities Commission
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, California 94102

Jim Holman, Publisher
San Diego Reader
P.O. Box 85803
San Diego, CA 92186

Edward R. Moss, Publisher
San Diego Union Tribune
350 Camino de la Reina
San Diego, CA 92108

Center for Electrosmog Prevention
P.O. Box 655
La Mesa, California 91944-0655

Utility Consumers’ Action Network
3100 5th Avenue, Suite B
San Diego, California 92103-9656


-->

1 Comments:

Blogger vegosapien said...

Great letter! Please post all replies you receive! Keep at it---people in northern California HAVE gotten their analogs back, but only through sheer persistence and multiple calls---DO NOT GIVE UP!
Amy O'Hair amyohair AT gmail

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home