Raplog

"I would we were all of one mind, and one mind good." --Cymbeline, V.iv.209-210. An English teacher's log. Slow down: Check it once in a while.

Monday, August 06, 2007

Measure for Measure at the Old Globe

If you are anywhere near San Diego, do whatever you can to get a ticket to see the Old Globe Theatre's production of Shakespeare's Measure for Measure. As many of you know, I have been talking and writing about this play for much of my life, trying to restore it to people's appreciation because of the deep and corrupting misreading it has suffered from for over a century. Well, finally there is a production that gets it right. No problem play about it, no "duke of dark corners," no prudish hard-hearted Isabel, no postmodern unhappy ending, no reducing Shakespeare's vision to the level of Lucio's. All that's gone with the wind, thank goodness and the wisdom of director Paul Mullins. Instead we have the Measure for Measure Shakespeare wrote and meant, and the one which I have been longing to see for lo these many years. See it if you can.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I saw it with my family and it was excellent, possibly the best production of Shakespeare I have seen. I really found it fascinating how it worked even in a more modern setting, though they did skip over some of the most humorous lines of the play.

Michael Boutelle

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home